This article will guide you through installing the Field2Base Data Integration Module (DIM) on your compatible PC. The current version available is 6.2.
Integration Suite Editions
There are two available editions of the Field2Base Integration Suite, the Server Edition and the Designer Edition.
|Note||You should never install both editions on the same PC as it could cause upgrade issues with future versions of the Integration Suite|
The Server Edition is intended to only be installed on PCs that act as Servers or on actual Servers and will only install the DIM service and the Administrator Utility. This edition was created to provide customers with a version that can be installed in production environments and to prevent confusion with the errors that occur when trying to run the Project Manager on a PC without the Microsoft Ink component installed.
The Operating Systems compatible with the Server Edition include Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2012.
The Designer Edition is intended to run on PCs and includes the DIM service, the Project Manager Utility and the Administrator Utility. This edition was created to provide customers with the ability to design and test their Integration Projects in a local environment.
Due to the Microsoft Ink component being required to use the Project Manager, the only Operating Systems compatible with the Designer Edition are Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
Which Edition Should You Use?
Are you learning how to design and create your own Integration Projects? Install the Designer Edition
Are you installing the components on a PC that does not have the Microsoft Ink component installed? Install the Server Edition
Will you just be processing files locally on a PC without making changes to the Integration Projects? Install the Server Edition
Will you be making changes to existing Integration Projects or creating Integration Projects in the future? Install the Designer Edition
Compatible Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate Editions
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate Editions
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home and Pro Editions
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition and Newer Versions
Hard Drive/Disk Space
A Minimum of 1GB should be held in reserve for initial use with the DIM. Additional Disk Space may be required depending on the number of Tablets your Company has, the amount of Sent Forms that will processed, and your Company’s plans for Archiving.
|Note||The Data Integration Module has no additional requirements and is a lightweight service intended to efficiently process Form Data.|
|Note||The User Account with which you are installing the application needs to have Administrative privileges.|
The Field2Base Data Integration Module requires these three components installed:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or Newer
- Microsoft SQL Server 3.5 Compact Edition SP2
- Field2Base Data Integration Module
|Note||The Windows 3.1 Installer is also required to run the three components listed above. This is one of the mandatory Windows Updates so it is assumed to be running on your PC.|
Steps for Installation
1. It is assumed that you have .NET Framework 4.5 or newer installed on your PC. If you need to download an installer for this component, you can download a version here.
2. Download and extract the Installation files for Microsoft SQL Server 3.5 Compact Edition SP2:
3. Install the Microsoft SQL Server 3.5 Compact Edition SP2 by running the SSCERuntime_x86-ENU.msi (and SSCERuntime_x64-ENU.msi if a 64 bit install).
4. Click Next.
5. Select "I accept the terms in the license agreement" and click Next.
6. Click Install.
7. Click Finish.
8. Select which DIM edition is appropriate for your company. Read the section on Integration Suite Editions for more details. Download and extract the appropriate edition.
9. Run the downloaded EXE file.
10. Click Next.
11. Click Next.
12. Click Install. The DIM may take a few minutes to install.
13. Click Finish.
Now that you have the DIM installed on your PC, Field2Base recommends that you take the precautionary step to exclude the DIM application from your Anti-Virus scanning and any other security software that may alter the installation.
The reason we recommend the exclusion is that Field2Base protects the code of our software using a process called obfuscation (which essentially encrypts the code) and unfortunately in this day and age, malware creators will often use a similar method to make their viruses harder to combat. Anti-Virus and Security Companies will flag the same obfuscation profile of our software and it results in our software being incorrectly identified as a security threat.
Since there are so many different Anti-Virus scanners and security software out there, we cannot provide the exact steps on how to exclude the software, but from our experience, it is typically found in the Settings for the software. You will then need to exclude the following folder depending on the Operating System (OS) version:
- 32 Bit OS: C:\Program Files\F2B Data Integration Module
- 64 Bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\F2B Data Integration Module
Service Network Access
Starting with version 6.2, the DIM Service now uses the standard HTTPS Port of 443 to communicate with our server to poll and download Sent Form data. New DIM Projects created in the DIM Project Manager will use this port by default.
If you want to upgrade your existing DIM Projects to use the updated port, you can manually upgrade the DIM Project in Notepad; if you need assistance with making such an update, please contact Technical Support for assistance.
If you do not want to upgrade your existing DIM Project to use this port, just remember to keep the previously setup HTTP (2001) and HTTPS (2443) Ports open to allow the DIM to continue to function correctly.
Ink and Handwriting Services for Servers
To ensure your DIM processes your Sent Form Data properly, there is an additional Windows component called the Ink and Handwriting Services that needs to be enabled on some versions of Windows Servers.
First, if your machine is using Windows Server 2016, then this component is included and does not require any further action.
For older versions like Windows Server 2008 or 2012, you will need to follow the actions below to enable the Inking and Handwriting Services:
Windows Server 2008 and 2012 Instructions
- Open the Server Manager
- Select the Features section
- Click the Add Feature option
- Select the Ink and Handwriting Services feature
- Click the Ink Support option
- Click the Next button
- Follow the rest of the Feature Wizard instructions
- Ink Support Update Complete
Windows Server Earlier Versions Instructions
You will need to install the Microsoft Tablet PC SDK using the attached TabletPCSDKsetup.exe file.
In order to use the DIM application, you must have access to download your company's Form Data on the server. If you do not have access, you can contact your Field2Base Account Manager for help.