This article will guide you through installing the Field2Base Enterprise Dispatch Module (EDM) on a Compatible PC. The latest version available is 6.2.
Integration Suite Editions
There are two available editions of the Field2Base Integration Suite, the Server Edition and the Designer Edition.
|Note||You should never install both editions on the same PC as it could cause upgrade issues with future versions of the Integration Suite|
The Server Edition is intended to only be installed on PCs that act as Servers or on actual Servers and will only install the DIM service and the Administrator Utility. This edition was created to provide customers with a version that can be installed in production environments and to prevent confusion with the errors that occur when trying to run the Project Manager on a PC without the Microsoft Ink component installed.
The Operating Systems compatible with the Server Edition include Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2012.
The Designer Edition is intended to run on PCs and includes the DIM service, the Project Manager Utility and the Administrator Utility. This edition was created to provide customers with the ability to design and test their Integration Projects in a local environment.
Due to the Microsoft Ink component being required to use the Project Manager, the only Operating Systems compatible with the Designer Edition are Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
Which Edition Should You Use?
Are you learning how to design and create your own Integration Projects? Install the Designer Edition
Are you installing the components on a PC that does not have the Microsoft Ink component installed? Install the Server Edition
Will you just be processing files locally on a PC without making changes to the Integration Projects? Install the Server Edition
Will you be making changes to existing Integration Projects or creating Integration Projects in the future? Install the Designer Edition
Compatible Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate Editions
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate Editions
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home and Pro Editions
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition and Newer Versions
Hard Drive/Disk Space
A Minimum of 1GB should be held in reserve for initial use with the EDM. Additional Disk Space may be required depending on the number of Tablets your Company has, the amount of Sent Forms that will processed, and your Company’s plans for Archiving.
|Note||The Enterprise Dispatch Module has no additional requirements and is lightweight service intended to upload PreFill data to the Field2Base server.|
|Note||The User Account with which you are installing the application needs to have Administrative privileges.|
The Field2Base Data Integration Module requires these three components installed:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or Newer
- Microsoft SQL Server 3.5 Compact Edition SP2
- Field2Base Data Integration Module
|Note||The Windows 3.1 Installer is also required to run the three components listed above. This is one of the mandatory Windows Updates so it is assumed to be running on your PC.|
Steps for Installation
1. It is assumed that you have .NET Framework 4.5 or newer installed on your PC. If you need to download an installer for this component, you can download a version here.
2. Download and extract the Installation files for Microsoft SQL Server 3.5 Compact Edition SP2:
3. Install the Microsoft SQL Server 3.5 Compact Edition SP2 by running the SSCERuntime_x86-ENU.msi (and SSCERuntime_x64-ENU.msi if a 64 bit install).
4. Click Next.
5. Select "I accept the terms in the license agreement" and click Next.
6. Click Install.
7. Click Finish.
8. Select which EDM edition is appropriate for your company. Read the section on Integration Suite Editions for more details. Download and Extract the appropriate edition.
9. Run the downloaded EXE file.
10. Click Next
11. Click Next
12. Click Install. The status of the EDM installation will be shown for a few moments.
13. Click Finish
Anti-Virus Software Exclusion Recommendation
Now that you have the EDM installed on your PC, Field2Base recommends that you take the precautionary step to exclude the EDM application from your Anti-Virus scanning and any other security software that may alter the installation.
The reason we recommend the exclusion is that Field2Base protects the code of our software using a process called obfuscation (which essentially encrypts the code) and unfortunately in this day and age, malware creators will often use a similar method to make their viruses harder to combat. Anti-Virus and Security Companies will flag the same obfuscation profile of our software and it results in our software being incorrectly identified as a security threat.
Since there are so many different Anti-Virus scanners and security software out there, we cannot provide the exact steps on how to exclude the software, but from our experience, it is typically found in the Settings for the software. You will then need to exclude the following folder depending on the Operating System (OS) version:
- 32 Bit OS: C:\Program Files\F2B Enterprise Dispatch Module
- 64 Bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\F2B Enterprise Dispatch Module
Service Network Access
Starting with version 6.2, the EDM Service now uses the standard HTTPS Port of 443 to submit PreFills to our cloud. New EDM Projects created in the EDM Project Manager will use this port by default.
If you want to upgrade your existing EDM Projects to use the updated port, you can manually upgrade the EDM Project in Notepad; if you need assistance with making such an update, please contact Technical Support for assistance.
If you do not want to upgrade your existing EDM Project to use this port, please just remember to keep the previously setup HTTP (2001) and HTTPS (2443) Ports open to allow the EDM to continue to function correctly.
To properly use this application, you must be granted access to submit PreFills to your on the Field2Base server. If you do not currently have access, it is recommended you contact your Field2Base Account Manager.