This is a new Region Type in Forms Designer 6.5.
The Unique ID region allows the number initially assigned to increment by one every time the Form is accessed, such as an invoice number or serial number. This is helpful to identify each submitted Form as unique when viewing in Admin Portal, email receipt of the Form, and in Analytics.
Creating a Unique ID Counter in Admin Portal
Before you can use a Unique ID Region in your Form, you must create a Unique ID counter in your Company's Admin Portal. The Unique ID Region will be using this counter to populate the next Unique ID into your Form.
1. From the Admin tab, select Unique ID.
|Note||Unique ID must be enabled in your Company's profile by Field2Base. If you do not see Unique ID listed in the Admin menu, please contact Field2Base Support to enable this feature in your account.|
2. Click Create to open the dialog box.
3. Fill in the appropriate data to configure your counter then click Submit.
a. Name - Set the name of the counter. You will need use this name when you create your Unique ID Region in Forms Designer. This field is required.
b. Start Value - The first number in the counter. The default start number is 1 but you can change it as needed.
c. End Value - The maximum number for the counter. This field is optional.
|Note||Once the maximum value is reached, the Form will create an error and cannot be sent until the counter is restarted. Only use this option if you know you will have a limited amount of Forms.|
d. Prefix - This will be pre-pended to each Unique ID. For example, you could add a department prefix to your Unique IDs such as F2B-PS 000001. This field is optional.
e. Pad Size - The length of your serial number. The prefix is not counted in the pad size. You do need to specify a pad character for your pad size in order for it to work. This field is optional.
f. Pad Character - The character used to fill spaces of your pad size. This field is optional.
|Example||If the Start Value is 1, Prefix is "F2B-PS ", Pad Size is 4, and Pad Character is "0", then the first serial number will be F2B-PS0001 followed by F2B-PS0002.|
Creating an API Sync Key in Admin Portal
In order to use your Unique ID counter in Forms Designer, you will need to have an API Sync Key for your company.
|Note||If your Company already has an API Sync key, DO NOT GENERATE A NEW KEY. This key is used across all web services attached to your Forms. Generating a new Sync Key while once already exists can break your existing Forms that use web services. If you are not sure if you have an API Sync Key, please contact F2B Support at email@example.com.|
To Create an API Sync Key:
1. Click on API Sync Key in the Admin tab of your company Admin Portal.
|Note||API Sync Key must be enabled in your Company's profile by Field2Base. If you do not see API Sync Key in the Admin menu, please contact Field2Base Support at firstname.lastname@example.org to enable this feature in your account.|
2. Click Generate New Sync Key.
Creating a Unique ID Region in Forms Designer
Once your company has an API Sync Key and the Unique Id counter that you want to use has been created in Admin Portal, you are ready to create a Unique ID Region on your Form!
1. Create a new Region and choose Unique ID as your Region type.
2. Go to the Unique ID tab in the Edit Region dialog box to select the options for your Unique ID Region.
a. Unique ID Trigger - You can set when the Unique ID will be populated into your Form in this section.
- The default is to populate the Region when your Form is initially opened.
- To populate the Unique ID when the Form is sent, choose When the form draft is sent
Note You cannot set a Unique ID Region as required if it is being populated during form sending since form validation is completed before sending. However, the Form will not be sent without a unique id. The User will be prompted to retry when they have an active connection and can receive the next available ID from the specified counter.
- To populate the Unique ID the first time a Region is changed, choose The first time a region changes then choose the desired Region from the Trigger region drop-down. For example, if you only want to get a Unique ID to be generated when a Form is signed, you could set that signature Region as the trigger Region.
- To populate the Unique ID every time a Region is changed, choose Every time a region changes then choose the desired Region from the Trigger region drop-down.
b. Trigger region - This field will become enabled once a Unique ID Trigger that uses a trigger Region has been selected. Click on the > button to access the window of available Form Regions to use as a trigger to generate a Unique ID. Select the desired trigger Region and click OK to populate the Trigger region field.
c. Unique ID Source - You must define the source for your Unique ID in this section.
- The default option is to Use a static counter name.
- You can also Choose the counter dynamically using a region value. For example, if you have several department counters that you want to populate from depending on which name is chosen from a Datasource Region on your Form.
d. Unique ID Source Field - Enter either the name of the Unique ID counter that you want to use (if you are using a static counter name) or select the Region value that contains the name of the counter that you want to use (if you are using a region value). If you have selected Choose the counter dynamically using a region value, the > button will be enabled and you can click on it to access the window of available Form Regions to use as a source.
e. Allow users to enter a new value - By default, Unique ID Regions cannot be changed by the user. If you want to give Users the ability to insert a value into a Unique ID Region (typically used when there is no Internet access for calling web services), check this option.